Translate

Wednesday 17 June 2009

An actual writing related post

Following yet another writing break I am working out the best way to get back into it. I’m thinking I need to read what I have written so far, which as it's been a while since I started writing it (remember Miss Write anyone??) and read it last it will feel like I’m reading someone else’s work. Does anyone else read their work and feel convinced someone (the elves maybe) wrote all that for you? It takes time and I have now set a new goal to finish by the end of this year. If ever I start looking for an agent (meaning I finish this novel of course!) I will have to delete this blog and change my name (again) because there is no way I’d get a book deal if they knew how long it has taken to not finish this one! If my future agent is reading this in my defence I haven’t just procrastinated using frequently mentioned TV (I am training to be a TV critic in my ever dwindling spare time) I have also been writing short stories and researching all future novels that may involve telly watching and going out on the lash (I don’t really do that!!) Any helpful tips on getting back to it and sticking to it would help me out loads!!

6 comments:

  1. The biggest tip I can give is try to remember this is your major passion and you need to do something about it every single day that you're able, otherwise it might end up being too late! Not meaning to panic you,,, this is what I'm trying to tell myself at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I regularly think 'Did I actually do that?' when I look at old art work!!

    I read a lot of writers blogs (I think it has something to do with the creative process) and one of my dearest friends is working on her first novel. She found that writing 100 words a day really worked for her....perhaps you could try that?

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niamh - I have got to keep telling myself that. It's not meant to be something I don't enjoy. I must tell myself that once I get into it I find it hard to stop! Thanks for the advice and don't worry it didn't panic me (anymore that I was lol)

    C - I am/was a participant in Helen's 100 words a day blog which I can't praise enough. I'm free all evening so I intend to post there tonight. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem hon. Good luck with it :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to tips on how to get back into it too! For some reason I just can't push myself enough to actually do any writing! And don't get me started about blogging. I'm THIS close to quitting blogging altogether. Which would mean giving up my place in the Novel Racers which would not help my non-writing habit I've picked up! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paige - please don't do that. I really hope to be at the next meet (after Birmigham) and look forward to picking your brain! Sometimes (as I have noticed myself recently) life gets in the way and its totally understandable cuz it happens to us all. I think the only way to get back into it is to just take a deep breath and do it. Says me who hasn't even opened her novel in donkeys!! Good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete