Translate

Thursday 4 September 2008

Believe the hype!!!

I'm not really a huge fan of Batman films so I wasn't itching to go and see this. I read excellent reviews and I must admit I was curious to see this amazing performance by the late Heath Ledger. As soon as I booked the tickets I put in Lolly's copy of Batman Begins just to catch up and I loved the new take on this story. Probably not convincing to some but I loved the reality of it. By the end of the film I couldnt wait to see The Dark Knight. I was worried it would be a huge anti-climax as I hadn't read one bad review. I needn't have worried! I sat there mouth open wide with a gob full of popcorn and just sat there mesmorised when the Joker first made an appearance. It wasn't just the Joker's ability to make the audience laugh and terrify them at the same time it was the amazing stunts (one in particular involving a police van, the Joker and Batman). Christian Bale was brilliantly convincing as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. Negative points some reviews choose to include were that the film sagged when the Joker wasn’t in it which I don’t agree with. Ledger was amazing in it I have to agree but you only have to see it for yourself to know that this film's success doesn't rest on one man's shoulders. I would give the cast and crew ALOT more credit than that. Special mention to the special effects makeup team for Aaron Eckhart - just excellent and scared me so much that I was scared to go to the toilet while he was on screen. The only downside was that I wasn't keen on Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel. I wouldn’t knock her as an actress because I liked her in Stranger than Fiction but I think once an actress (Katie Holmes - Batman Begins) has already made the roll her own it is hard to imagine anyone else as the character. I loved the new take on this film and would definite be up for the next one.

8 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you wrote this post. I seem to have seen and heard nothing but bad reviews of this film and, although I was originally hooked by the trailers, I had decided not to bother.

    Now I think I will.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard good things from people who've seen the film, but it's not my cup of char :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh - I don't tend to write movie reviews because I'm not very good at writing down my views on a good or bad film. This film stood our so much that I can't recommend it enough. I would even see it again!!

    Karen - I heard loadsa good things about it which made me think I would go the other way but I loved it. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lily - I've come here via Caroline's wonderful widget and I think this post just proves that the widget works!!

    I adored this film...I thought Heath was amazing in it but I don't think it would have worked as well without Christian to play off so I completely agree with you on the credit to all :-)

    Nice to 'meet' you

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Widget brought me. So glad it did as I was meaning to see this film, but had been 'put off'. Now I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome C&C, I love the new widget. I'm 'meeting' lots of new people that I dont seem to have come across before on my travels around the blog community.
    I've never seen Christian Bale in any other films but Id heard he was good and I totally agree

    Thanks Caroline, I put in a write or read suggestion earlier. I am getting hooked on it.
    Its a great film, and I dont normally like superhero movies. They just aren't my thing. But this one....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the write or read one! JJ was having touble with it. I am having trouble with the 'Simon C' or 'John B' one :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline - ah you found me out. That one hasnt reached me yet so when it does I may get stuck. I think I would probably choose reading.... and then change my mind. I had a problem choosing between mum and dad. I chose to alternate as I love them equally awww. Not sure about the Simon & John one - I will google them.

    ReplyDelete