Translate

Wednesday 10 March 2010

Saturday 20 March 11am - 5pm - Picador Day

Just had the following info from one of my writing groups.  Sadly I shall be jetting off  to Cyprus that day so can't make it but thought you might be interested:

Saturday 20 March 11am - 5pm

The Gallery at Foyles, 113-119 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H 0EB

Picador Day

In association with leading literary imprint Picador, we invite you to spend the day with top authors and publishing insiders as they discuss literature from all angles.

11am - 12pm Family and Self
Things are getting personal in the first session of the day, as our panel of authors discuss the ways writers bring their nearest and dearest into their work, and reflect on literature's greatest fictional families. With:

Jackie Kay

Jon Ronson

Kate Clanchy

William Fiennes

Abi Grant


12.30pm - 1.30pm Writing of Place
How do you conjure up the spirit of a place in writing? And how important is the setting in shaping a work of literature? Our four literary explorers will attempt to find out. With:

Graham Robb

William Fiennes

Jim Crace

Charles Lambert


1.30pm - 2.30pm Break


2.30pm - 3.30pm Poetry and Beyond
How easy it for a writer of prose to create poetry? And what happens when a poet decides to put verse to one side? Discover the answers with our multi-talented panel. With:

Kate Clanchy

Jacob Polley

Jackie Kay

Gerard Woodward

Paul Farley

(chaired by Don Paterson)


4pm - 5pm Becoming a Writer
If you've ever dreamed of getting published then our final panel, including freshly published debut novelists and experienced creative writing teachers, will guide you through the whole process, from writing your first sentence to seeing your book on the shelves. With:

Gerard Woodward

Trezza Azzopardi

Ben Myers

Simon Lelic

Naomi Wood

(chaired by Paul Baggaley)


Tickets are £18/£15 concessions covering admission to all four sessions. Tickets include a goody bag. - I AM SO GUTTED I CAN'T GO!!!!

http://www.foyles.co.uk/events.asp?#picador

5 comments:

  1. Pity you can't go but I'm sure you'll have a great time in Cyprus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived on the mainland and could go to more events. Living in Jersey can be such a pain sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, Jackie Kay! She's lovely! I had the opportunity to study under her at Newcastle uni for my MA! Forget Cyprus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great - if only I didn't live so far away...

    Have a terrific time in Cyprus (very jealous).

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colette - Thanks, well I have to see the silver lining but its a pity it couldn't have been a week later.

    Debs - I love Jersey. My Aunty lives there and it is just a beautiful place... but I can understand what you mean.

    CA - Aaarrhhh now i really really want to go. My timing is rubbish - I wish I could do both!

    Suzanne - thanks - I'm in need of a week of I can tell you. It will be nice writing away in the sunshine for a change.

    ReplyDelete